Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Please Feel Free to Ignore This Post

I don't think I'm pretty. I mean, I've been told I'm good-looking but I don't see it.

My mom is just a few melanin cells this side of "day-glo albino" and my dad looks like basically any one of the guys in this picture.


As stupid as it sounds to anyone with even a cursory background in genetics, though, I didn't know I wasn't white until I was about ten. I was operating under the assumption that, since all baby animals looked like their mothers, I must look like my mother, too.


But, naturally, when you mix just-shy-of-albino-looking and poster-complexion-for-native-american you get something in between.


So, basically, I'm complexion confused.

I spent the first ten years of my life with this image in my head of how I looked and, when I realized I actually don't look like my mom it shattered my worldview. For the record, borderline-albino plus native american gets you passably-asian.

But I though I was white.

Here I am, thinking I'm white, for all of my life, and when I found out I wasn't I really didn't like the way I actually looked.

The way I looked in my head to begin with is so wrong, so innacurate a picture of what I actually look like, and I intellectually know that, but I can't rectify the error in my head. I actually got in trouble at school once when I was in kindergarten or first grade, in art class. We had to draw self-portraits, and the teacher handed out those ethnic-colored crayons and handed me a light brown one, and I wanted the peach, but she wouldn't give it to me because I didn't have peach skin.

I left the skin of my self-portrait uncolored.

When I wake up in the morning, I still think I have this nice, light, creamy complexion and it's beautiful.

Until I look at myself in the mirror, at which point I go, "Ugh. So tan!"

Not that there's anything wrong with tan, mind you. It's just now how I look.

I also used to be anorexically skinny, and I hated it. There was this girl in my freshman PE class who whold "accidentally" bump into me, bumping me into the lockers, and make snide comments about how disgusting I looked. I thought I looked disgusting, too. I don't think it's attractive for a lady's ribcage to show. I don't think you should be able to see someone's spine stretch their shirt when they lean over their desk. It's gross. I always though the ideal body type for a lady was curvy and soft, like the Venus de Milo.



Of course, if a lady has to choose between looking like that or arms, she should go for the arms, but still. I'm a huge fan of hips and breasts and a gentle sloping waist instead of that disgusting hourglass thing they're always trying to push on us. I just hated the body type I had in high school, for the opposite reason most of my classmates hated theirs.

I've been told, you see, that I'm flat-chested, and that when I wear a padded bra, it's false advertisement. A disappointment, when you find out what's under my shirt.

Somehow, in the last two years, I acquired the Venus look and then kept going. My body doesn't look anything like I think it should, now. Beyond the whole complexion thing, the build of my body is different in a way I never pictured my body being. I'm really not sure how to deal with this.

Back in the day, I was young and cute and precocious. I'm not so young anymore. I'm actually pretty proud to be a passable excuse for a grown-up. But I miss being cute. I miss not looking so tired and jaded, so that my eyes had a little more sparkle. I miss being slender enough that I could slip into tight spaces, and cute enough that just looking at someone would stop them in their tracks. I'm not really precocious anymore; I'm just another angsty twenty-something dissatisfied with life.

I feel like every word that has ever been used to describe me no longer applies.

This little girl T, this sweet young thing that Poffle may or may not be after, she's beautiful in ways I am not, and wish I were. She has this glowing, smooth, peach-toned skin with just a teensy bit of tan that sets her eyes off. Her eyes, my god, they're huge and wide open all the time, and even looking at pictures of her makes me shudder because it's like she's looking into my soul. (Sidenote: I don't stalk her; we're facebook friends. So there.) She has this gorgeous light brown hair that's generally wavy like I wish my pin-straight hair was. I've permed my hair twice in my life, trying to achieve that effect, but it just doesn't work on anyone but her. She's maybe 5'1, tops, but probably 5' even. I could reach around her with one arm, but even though she's so slender, she has gorgeous curves in perfect proportion to her frame, and I'm jealous.

I wish I looked like her.

I've been told I'm cute, but I don't see it. I'm not tiny and pocket-sized anymore, if I ever was, and even if I were the majority of my female friends back when I heard these words more frequently came up to my chin, if that. They're smaller and cuter, and usually smarter (but not always) and generally sweeter of temperament. I don't get how I can be cute when that's what I'm surrounded by.

Poffle's sisters (he has three) are all built the same way as T, more or less. They're fair-haired an -skinned. They're curvy exactly like Venus, and they have jaw-dropping eyes. How can I expect to measure up? Hell, his mother looks exactly like her girls.

My sister, she has dark hair like me, and she's a little curvier than the statue, but has alabaster skin like you wouldn't believe, and she wears her body so well on her soul I've never left the house with her and not seen heads turn her way, even when she's in baggy jeans and overlarge t-shirts.

Chickadee, The Chickadee, is so beautiful inside and out. She always moves with such grace and poise. Just being around her for the few hours I was when I went back West a couple weeks ago, it infected me with acceptance of challenges and grace to survive. Every time I'm in her presence, every movement is a dance. Just thinking about her makes me sigh, for all the inner beauty shining through the broken frame, but I'm so jealous of her and her blessings that it makes me all ugly inside.

I have a tendency to trip over flat surfaces. I walk into furniture in my office all the time, a room in which I've spent a minimum of 27 hours a week, every week, for the last seven months.

I'm so jealous of all these women, these beautiful women with their dancer's grace and fair skin and statuesque bodies. I know I'm okay-looking. But compared to them? They're so beautiful, so kind and intelligent and loved in ways that I wish I was, and never will be. (Okay, the love thing fluctuates, but everything else really doesn't.) I can't stand being around them sometimes, because I feel like last choice.

I can count backwards by lovers, and tell you every time I was second-choice for someone and who she was that I was an acceptable-at-best substitute for.

Beautiful. Fair. Curvaceous. Smooth. Graceful. Talented. Kind. Cute women.

I know I shouldn't be comparing myself to others, but shy of bleaching my skin and some serious bone-reconfiguration, I'll never look the way I think I look the first thing in the morning, before I catch my reflection in the mirror, and after all these years the shock of my physical reality has yet to wear off, but I wish, just once, I could wake up and see my reflection looking exactly how I see myself.

I need to stop. I need to stare at myself in the mirror for five minutes every day and look at myself and just say out loud "You are beautiful, inside and out," but what happens when my body changes again? How do I start over from that? How do I deal with this?

How do I accept the kind of beautiful I actually am, instead of pining to be what I see in my head?

6 comments:

  1. God, I understand that. Way too much. First of all, that paragraph about me… I am beyond flattered. I did not think that "grace" and "poise" would ever be adjectives connected with me. I'm more like the paragraph afterwards! Especially now that I'm all stiff and jerky and balance challenged, more so than usual.

    I don't look the way I look in my head, either. The closest I've ever come is the first few months after I started getting sick, when I lost a bunch of weight and was doing yoga at least twice a week and walking several miles a day and was all toned and muscular and my skin was finally totally clear after 10 years of fighting terrible body acne… So basically I looked fabulous in time for my wedding, and then it all went to hell.

    I weigh the most I've EVER weighed in my life. I feel like the adjectives that once applied no longer do. I'm not cute anymore, either (well, C says I am, so maybe but whatevs). I am questioning the superlative labels given to me by friends, because all I can see is that image in my head of my idealized self and I just don't measure up. At all. Ever. I never have. Came close, and lost some of my bosom doing so, but I figured it was an even trade. But my body has changed SO MUCH, and not just in physical appearance. My "broken frame", as you put it. Most days I don't know what the hell to do with it except feed it acceptable food (but not too much! 'cause then I'll get fat and that would be a world disaster according to my doctor), throw some pain and sleeping pills at it, and remember to hydrate. Beyond that, I'm fucking lost. So yes, dear heart… I understand. This just means you're human; beyond that, you're female. An AMERICAN female. Blast our society and the emphasis on "beauty". You happen to look a great deal like what I always wished I did. Well, one of the incarnations anyway… there are a few :) One of them is, of course, the red-haired, green-eyed Irish siren with the ivory complexion.

    So how to accept the beautiful you actually are? It's not a one-time thing. A lot of it has to do with monitoring the self-talk you feed yourself. What's the voice in your head saying? If it's not happy or healthy, tell it to take a fucking hike. It helps me to have affirmations on paper or compiled somewhere that I can pull out and read, or repeat to myself during the day like a mantra. But yeah. Start with monitoring your self talk and replacing the lies and slurs with honesty and truth. It helps if you have someone else to validate you as well, because most of the time it's hard to tell when the voices are lying to you, especially when they've been around for so, so long. (Yes, I know some of your past. That's where a lot of this has root, you know. I know you know.) Stop selling yourself short or so help me, I will hitchhike out East and kick your perky little ass. Got it? =^.^=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that a promise? Because I really really really want to see you now, and if I have to stoop that low to achieve it, I just might ^.~

      Delete
    2. Hah. Provide the plane ticket, and I'm all yours. You'll have to wait on me hand and foot once I get there, though. Traveling is hard on these old bones. In all seriousness, I would SO come out there if I could. East coast has been on my bucket list for a significant portion of my life.

      Delete
    3. You got it, Chickadee! How do you do with humidity? I know cold is bad for you, but summer gets kind of sticky and you can pick between the two OR we can do the lottery and go Spring/Fall if you like. It'll either be cold or sticky.

      Delete
    4. I don't know about the humidity, honestly. Fall would be nice. I love changing leaves and the smell in the air. Plus hot chocolate becomes a thing in fall, and that's always good.

      Delete
  2. I love you, sweets. Just thought I'd remind you of that. And I like you, and how you look, because you are distinctly YOU… and did you know that I have been jealous of your looks more than uncommonly throughout the years that I've known you? Yeah. Suck on that, miss precocious ;)

    ReplyDelete